Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Giving Along with Taking...

Not so long ago, I was going through a rough patch in life. Every morning, I would get on my knees and ask Spirit for what I wanted/needed. I have never had an issue with asking the Universe, God, or Higher Power (however, you’d like to phrase it. I am not sure how I’d like to phrase it since I am so open spiritually). At this difficult time, I also found myself receiving all that I needed! Slowly but surely all the “bad” things were dissolving away. I was getting so much from the Higher Power and I was truly overcome with gratitude. Then, it struck me. The thought popped into my head out of the clear sky or at least that’s how it felt. “The more you get, the more you must give.”

From that day forward, I devised a plan to make volunteering in the community a routine. Even if some months I have a hectic schedule, I make sure at least once a month I have donated some time. Luckily, the organization I have found allows me to pick and choose from a variety of activities. I can be at a coat drive one weekend, a soup kitchen the next, or take some kids to a museum. I leave completely exhilarated with a renewed sense of spirit. It is the one true way I have found to create a natural balance. I enjoy receiving, but I also enjoy the giving portion as well.

Perhaps volunteering in a structured setting like a soup kitchen isn’t for everyone. However, every day you pass by people that need help. You can always stop and help a mom struggling to carry a baby carriage up the subway steps. It takes 2 minutes really. You can probably run into this scenario a few times a week and there is your version of volunteering! There is no one right way to “volunteer.” It is something that you feel compelled to do at that moment and you leave the act feeling renewed. Think of this way. Your local deli may have a “Give a penny, take a penny” cup. If no one put any pennies in, then no one could take a penny when their item rang up to $5.03! Some times you just have to give your pennies too! J

Not long after I began volunteering, I read an interview with Richard Branson (Founder of Virgin Group) in Oprah’s magazine. In it he states, “Capitalism is the only system that works, but it has its flaws; for one, it brings great wealth to only a few people. That wealth obviously brings extreme responsibility.” So for that inspirational quote and all his charitable work around the globe, Richard Branson gets the High 5 of the day!

No comments: